Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Hard Knox Pizza's Sunday Punch To My Pie Hole

I'm going to start off by saying that this pizza is by far the best thing going in Knoxville. Since I am after all from NY, therefore a self-proclaimed pizza authority, I'd know! Ha, take that Urbanspooners and Yelpies. I mean, face it. Most pizza in the South has either a Papa John's box around it, or is served on a cracker crust full of antipasto toppings, and will cost you $12.95. No thanks...so lame.
But, thankfully Hard Knox Pizza takes the title belt in the local pizza ring by using the most simple, freshest ingredients that are cooked and treated properly. They do NOT artfully arrange them on the pie, but actually arranged them by how they would cook best, and therefore taste good, and nice and not like everything else on the pie. Maybe we need an example.. Let's break this down:
I got the Iron Mike (Coolest named pie on the menu- only reason I got it), check this baby out: Fresh Mozz, Baby Spinach, Caramelized Garlic, Shaved Parm Reggiano, and EVoo.
You're gonna wanna notice the garlic on top of the cheese, so it gets a little char, and tastes like garlic heaven in your mouth hole. Then the shaved parm, then spinach, then the mozz.... this made the most amazing little light sauce on the pie since the spinach leaked some veggie water through the cheese.
Yes, that is a PBR can in the near background.
The big, bubbly, chewy, light as air crust with a nice outter crispiness was perfectly thin, but held up great to the toppings.
Great taste, great crust, great construction: TKO.




Now, my hubby got the Carnera... because I think he may have a pepper addiction, but overall he said his was top notch, and I could tell he wasn't lying, b/c he ate his whole pie to my 3 slices.
Here's his Sweet Crust shot. I tasted only the sauce on his, and it was  light, fresh and simple. Maybe a little San Marzano tomato, fresh basil and magic sauce love?...or at least that's what it tasted like. I have no idea.

The space was cool, and simple and the guys behind the counter were your average pizza slingers, but had a professional air about them. I actually appreciated it. Decent prices for the pies, considering they tasted like pizza heaven, and didn't give me or Brian a Cauliflower Ear.

Check out their menus/site here.
Colleen yummy food rating 5/5.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure this is my favorite place to eat in all of Knoxville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this place and eat there at least once a week. Since I can't have dairy they even accomodate me by putting on my special cheese when I go. Awesome place, awesome food!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pizza, great atmosphere. The best pizza in Knoxville by far.

    ReplyDelete